This is a follow up from the post on Nov 9.
I finally finished all those flying geese. All 136 of them. What a pain! I got better at them by the end, but there are plenty of wonky ones in there that I will have to fix by trimming or hiding the wonkiness in seams. Apparently I am not the only one that has trouble with them, as I found a thread on the quilting forum I frequent where people were talking about it. Turns out there are lots of methods to make them, and the one detailed in the pattern I am working with is one of the least favorites. Next time I need to make them I will know better! Oh well, another lesson learned.
The method I was using is also pretty wasteful of the fabric, as I end up clipping corners off all the fabric pieces. This made me start wondering about what people do with scraps. I know lots of people on the forum talk about scrap quilts, but I wasn’t really sure what scraps were too small to keep. Today I stumbled on the perfect thread to answer that question, and learned of “crumb” quilts. They use little bits of fabric stitched together to create larger blocks of fabric. So this Flower Patch quilt has lead to multiple lessons learned. From now own I will have a scrap bin and a bag of “crumbs” in my stash.
My next step will be to lay out my fabric combinations for the different flowers and make sure I like what I had planned out now that I can see all four fabrics together more easily. Then it is more flying geese (of a sort) for me. The next piecing I have to do will be for the inner petals, which aren’t true flying geese as it is a square rather than a rectangle. Same technique though.
There won’t be much picture worthy with it for a while still. Any picture I took now would look just like the last ones I posted on Nov 9. Once I get the flower blocks pieced I will get some photos up, but at this rate it will be a while! Between the baby, life in general, and working part time I don’t have much time these days. And I only have a week left before I am back at work full time.