I made jelly!

I made my first successful batch of jelly last night. The steam juicer is pretty awesome. Dumping fruit in and letting it steam is so so much easier than the other methods of extracting juice… which involve a lot of smashing, straining, and waiting.

There are now 6 half-pint jars of blackberry jelly in my stockpile of canned goods. I might have to see if I can find enough blackberries to make more next weekend, since I will probably give some of this away. I am very please with how it turned out. And next weekend I will probably give blueberry jelly a shot as well, since there are still plenty of blueberries at the market. There are also tons and tons of peaches right now, so I need to investigate using those for tasty things as well.

I was rooting around in the fridge earlier today when I realized some cherries I bought last week had been pushed to the back and forgotten. There were too many to eat before they went bad, so thanks to the success of my blackberry jelly, I decided to try some cherry jelly. I have the jars sterilizing now, and the juice waiting on the counter. Just have to figure out which recipe I want to use!